10 Google Easter Eggs

An Easter Egg is best described as a message or feature which is hidden in a piece of software, be it a DVD, CD, program, or video game. Below I’ve listed 10 Google-related Easter Eggs in no particular order, they are:

1. It’s been fixed now, but it used to be possible to ask Google Maps for directions from – for example – Providence, Rhode Island (in the US) to Rome in Italy (in Europe) and be told that you would have to swim many thousands of miles across the Atlantic Ocean in order to get there.

2. Famous photographer-evader Nessie the Loch Ness monster has been spotted just off the coast of Google. If you set your browser to the Beach iGoogle theme and wait until 3:14am, Nessie will surface from the sea for approximately 60 seconds. The rumour is that Google developers wanted to create a tribute to the mathematical quatity Pi (roughly equal to 3.14159). Similar instances that occur at this time on other themes include the Aurora Borealis appearing in the Seasonal Scape, or kitsune (mythical fox spirits common to Japanese folklore) appearing in the Tea House theme.

3. The Google calculator facility can often be a useful tool, but it is not without its fair share of easter eggs. Have a search for the “answer to life the universe and everything” and see what you get. Ever wanted to know the “number of horns on a unicorn”? Try searching for it now, and the calculator will let you know.

4. Ever wanted to momentarily pretend you were Elmer Fudd? Google gives you that chance with Google Elmer Fudd. Further possibilities include Pig Latin and even Klingon.

5. If you open up Picasa – Google’s free image software – and use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Y, a teddy bear will show up. The more you press it, the more bears will pop up, until they eventually take over the screen.

6. Included in the Spam folder in Google Mail, just above the “Delete” button and where you usually come across advertising spam of some sort, you’ll find various recipes that include Spam as the main ingredient.

7. Hidden within the Google Earth program is a flight simulator. Accessed by pressing Ctrl-Alt-A on the keyboard (or Command-Option-A for Macs), you’re given the chance to try your hand at piloting either a propeller-powered plane or an F16 jet. You’re also given a choice of starting from a number of famous airports. Controls are available, and I recommend you read them, as I crashed even before I’d taken off. Hopefully you’ll fare better, good luck!

8. Google Maps has a tiny character called the Pegman show up whenever you zoom in close enough to experience Google Street Views. Occasionally, depending on the time of year, Google dresses the Pegman up in different costumes. For example, at Halloween he becomes a witch, and at Christmas he becomes a snowman.

9. If you type in “google easter eggs” and hit the”I’m Feeling Lucky” button, you’re treated to a minigame in which you control a rabbit and have to catch eggs which then spell out the word “Google”.

The following isn’t really an easter egg as such, but I thought I’d include it anyway.

10. As part of an April Fool’s joke in 2007, Google decreed that it would be launching Gmail Paper. This system would allow a Gmail user to print their entire account’s worth of emails and have it shipped to them as a hard copy. No amount would be too much, as it was possible to “print one, one thousand, or one hundred thousand of your emails”.

22 thoughts on “10 Google Easter Eggs

1. Morgan Mghee says:

I started chuckling at ‘ “Now that I have Gmail Paper, I understand the difference between labels and folders. I had one message with two labels, but when I tried to stick the paper version into two filing cabinets at the same time, it just wouldn’t go.”

And thought I would have an asthma attack from laughing so hard after reading’ But what about the environment?
    Not a problem. Gmail Paper is made out of 96% post-consumer organic soybean sputum,”

I’m still crying!

2. Anonymous says:

Another cool easter egg requires you to go to google reader and sign in. There, using the keyboard, input the konami code. Just see what happens from there on.

3. On google reader enter the Konami code (↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A)

4. Casey says:

Try http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/
    It makes all the words into l33t sp34k

5. David says:

There was also a 2008 april fools joke: virgle.

a joint venture between google and virgin to colonise mars.

enjoy

6. ATOzTOA says:

Gud List u got there :)

I liked the Bunny game … lol

7. Jeblington says:

If you do directions, in google maps, from sydney, australia to Los Angeles, california, you get a similar result to the first egg, I think it still works :D

8. Jesse says:

Type “Find Chuck Norris” into the google main page and hit I’m feeling lucky

9. jelly button fool says:

if you type from melbourne australia to ontario canada into google maps you also get the same result as of egg number one.

10. Lord Kante says:

Another one that was pretty funny was, april fools (I dont remember the year) but I opened up my google earth and it took me automatically to AREA 51 where I saw a little alien filling up his space ship and such. I laughed the rest of the day from that. :)

11. Hello,

Nice Post, Google Chrome is too good. If you want to know more about Google Chrome with lots of screen shoot, about its secrets, more Easter Eggs and the famous crazy Google Chrome Crasher. Just read this post.

>> hostintruder.wordpress.com/200 …

ByeBye

12. Raimu says:

When you type “failure” in and hit “I’m Feeling Lucky”, it used to take you to the wiki page for George Bush. But no more, unfortunately.

13. Lord Voltron says:

Lol I have been doing all that since, it was a long time ago and now well…. anyway all that was pretty good but i know some better stuff that i would rather not publish. SO have fun doin whatever you people do. Oh and if you download Google Earth then you can find a ton of FREAKY AND AMAZINGLY SCAREY PICTURES OF THINGS YOU WOULD EVER WANT TO SEE LEST YOU PERISH IN THE SCARINESS OF ALL THINGS SCARY. It is pretty freaky. Look on Youtube, Freaky Google Earth Images. There should be a video telling you the locations of FREAKY images.

14. Manny says:

I have no need to put you guys down, but you guys are missing some easter eggs. 1. if you type googoth and click the “i’m feeling lucky” button it will take to a website for gothics.
    These are others:
    google ninja
    google emo
    google linux
    google easter (on this one you get to play a game with a bunny)

15. Timmmy says:

Don’t forget
    Google Pirate
    Google God
    Googlegulp
    Google bork
    Doogle

16. lia says:

go search google christmas and press “i’m feeling lucky” and it will show a holiday doodle

17. peaches says:

Typ in google loco. Quite funny.

18. BugsHaveProtein says:

type “qqqqq” and hit “I’m Feeling Lucky” actually don’t… if you like your innocence….

19. Elam says:

google ninja
    google emo
    google linux
    google easter (on this one you get to play a game with a bunny)
    Google Pirate